Sunday, April 12, 2009

Colt Men





Colt Studios helped shape my sexuality. I count Jim French's iconic photographs of the uber male as much as my father's rugged edge for my preference for the masculine form.

I went to an all-boys Catholic high school in the inner city, although my family lived in the suburbs. There in the city I found bookstores like the Elliot Bay Book Company with thousands of picture books of naked men in their photography section. After school, I would spend hours leafing through those picture books. At 16 years old, I was perpetually hard and loved these books. By far, my favorite pictures were the ones published by Colt Studios in Los Angeles. The men were huge, muscular, hairy, and had enormous cocks. And nothing came close to the raw male emotion epitomized by the Colt Man.

I couldn't get enough and still can't. Here is one of my all-time favorites, Franco Corelli. He came on the scene a few years after my days in the bookstore, but he says Colt like few others.

1 comment: